Thursday, January 28, 2010

Is there a God?

"What are you doing this friday night!? want to come out to the school basketball game with us?"
I reply:" Sorry, I have to go to my grandma's house for shabbat dinner"
So religon is the hot topic for today... I come from a very religous house and am highly involved in my youth group. Relgion to me is the belief in a God or some higher power. I think people are lucky if they have religion in their life because it gives people the ablitlity to believe in something that is bigger than other people or ideas that are comprehendable. It makes people question things, even science. I have many questions that come to mind instantly. For example, many religious people believe that God has the power to change a future and to make people's fates...but does he really have that power? I think that people are underestimating their ablilities to make their own choices and determain their future. I think sometimes people become to dependable on God that they lose sight of their life here on earth. I personally have recently been questionting my belief in God and i think that its ok to do. I mean, as teens its a very complicated time and many changes are occuring that the same time. Most people are thinking about girlfriends or boy friends, school, or the stresses of home life or sports. God doesn;t play a very immediate part in my life but I think the morals that my religion teaches me always stays in the back of my head.

1 comment:

  1. The role of religion in modern day life is quite confusing as you have said. We are constantly bombarded with new technologies that we use everyday, and due to this clear demonstration of science actually working WORKING, it is hard to literally believe what some religions teach. This coupled with the ever quickening pace of living makes religion hard to fit into one's life. I know that, personally, I believe that if there is some sort of God or all powerful being, it's properties would inherently be beyond our comprehension. Does it make sense that such a force would be bound to the rules of the universe we live under? Not to me it doesn't. Such a being would have to exist outside these limits and even defy causality if we are to accept that such a being could have created the universe we life in.

    ReplyDelete